What is a smart irrigation controller?
Where traditional irrigation systems use a preset schedule and timers to control water usage, smart irrigation systems monitor local weather conditions, soil type, evaporation and other factors to automatically adjust the time and amount of water applied to any landscape. Smart controllers can also be set to shut off if it starts raining, and automatically adjust to seasonal weather changes.
How does a smart controller system work?
A few smart sprinkler systems use soil moisture sensors to evaluate how much water is available in the soil for the plants to use, and how much more water is needed. Other systems download weather information daily, or use hard-wired historical data supplemented with current forecasts. Information such as what days of the week watering is allowed, or any upcoming special events may be programmed into the controller as well.
What are the benefits of smart irrigation?
Switching from a traditional irrigation system to a smart controller can save you money, while ensuring your garden thrives all year round. Smart controllers help to:
- Reduce your water usage by at least 20%, as irrigation settings adjust based on real-time weather and soil conditions
- Save you money on your water bill, as lower consumption means lower costs
- Save you time spent adjusting irrigation settings on a weekly, fortnightly or bi-annual basis, as smart controllers automatically regulate water usage every day
- Maintain a healthy lawn and garden, by avoiding any under-watering or over-watering of plants
- Monitor leaks, broken pipes and other irrigation faults
- Improve your environmental responsibility
How are smart sprinkler systems designed?
Technicians from The Patio Company can help you design your new smart controller watering system based on your particular mix of plants and shrubs, lawns and flowers. To avoid water waste, hardscape details are taken into account during the design phase of any irrigation plan, as well as other information such as the type of ground cover and the slope of the terrain.
A combination of sprinkler head types and heights is used in each design, to angle and direct water where your landscape needs it most. With the smart controller in charge of timing, you can be assured of a well-watered garden while reducing water usage and costs.
The Patio Company would be happy to help you design an environmentally-friendly irrigation system for your home or business. Contact us today to get started on your smart irrigation plan.